Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Stranger in a Strange Land

Before I came to China, I promised people, maybe casually, half-heartedly, that I'd try to keep up with them by e-mail.  Rather than create an e-mail list, I think this Blog format will be more convenient.  It's easier reading and can be referred to quickly and shared by anyone interested.  Facebook no longer allows blogs to be imported, so I suppose I'll try to copy and paste there for as long as my will holds out.

I'm hesitant to start this, I think blogs can be self-important and vain, and it's one more task calling for my attention every day.  And yet, I've compiled enough stories and small observations that I think it can provide entertainment, insight, connection, and maybe even brighten someone's day, or life.  So, going forward, I'll be mindful not to overindulge and flatter myself or gush about trivial details ("You people in America haven't lived until you've tried the noodles in Anhui province!  You wish you were here!")  Instead, I'll offer brief stories to chronicle my time here and let you know what it's like, if you're interested.

The reasons for my coming here are deep and vast, so I won't try and list them.  You'll pick them up as you read along.  Hopefully, I'll start to understand them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment